SaaS Contracts Lawyers
Scott & Scott, LLP’s cloud-based contracts as a services’ solution (“CAAS”) affords software developers and SaaS solution providers greater protection as ever-changing technology increases cybersecurity and ransomware risks.
By integrating the contracts with the quotes within various online quoting tools software developers and SaaS solution providers can collect e-signatures, enter into click-wrap agreements, and obtain browser wrap consent from clients for the online terms and conditions provided by the firm, thereby collapsing the sales and contracting process into one easy online transaction.
The solution also allows Scott & Scott to push frequent updates to clients without overwriting customizations made on prior versions, greatly reducing the time associated with keeping client documents current.
What is a SaaS Agreement?
A SaaS agreement, or software as a service agreement, is a document that outlines the terms and conditions of a software delivery model. In this type of model, the software and data are hosted centrally and users can access them both online.
A SaaS agreement can cover a lot of different types of services, or it might just be a way for end users to access products that can also be licensed in another way. The nice thing about the SaaS model is that you don’t need any extra software or hardware. Data gets uploaded into a system and then saved on remote servers (in the cloud).
SaaS Contract Templates
Our lawyers have been representing software firms for over 22 years. Whether you develop custom code or offer subscription-based services, your customer contracts are critically important to the value and viability of your company. Our SaaS customer contract templates have been developed over many years of experience. They contain many industry specific provisions designed to protect your SaaS business from legal liability.
Our hosted SaaS customer contract templates include:
- Master Software & Services Agreement
- End User License Agreement
- Software Subscription Agreement
- Service Level Objectives
- Written Information Security Policy
- Incident Response Plan
- Data Processing Terms
- HIPAA BAA
- State Consumer Protection Laws
Many small or startup software firms need other legal protections in addition to industry leading SaaS contract templates. Our lawyers advise software firms on IP protection including how to protect the code using copyright registration and how to protect the brand with trademark registrations. We also assist with preparation of SOW and other sales documents to be used in our client’s businesses but not hosted by us.
Our non-hosted services for software firms include:
- Copyright Registration of Software Code
- Review, edit and revise SOW’s for professional services
- Trademark Registration of product name
SaaS Customer Contract Setup Services
Clients who license SaaS contract templates also receive important setup services to customize the agreements to fit their business, make sure that our solution is tightly integrated into their sales process, and that quote and proposal templates are upgraded to leverage our online approach to customer contracting.
Our setup services include the following:
- Requested customization of licensed contract templates within the first 30 days
- Assistance with integrating with online platforms and quoting tools
- Review and approval of quote and proposal templates
- Review and approval of first two customer transactions
- Delivery of hyperlinks for use in quotes and on the web
Maintenance and Support Services
Prior to January of 2022, our lawyers would assist software firms with their customer contracts by assisting them with the development of template documents to be used by the sales team. Each client would get a customized version of our SaaS contract templates developed over years of experience. Customers frequently struggled to manage the contracts and ongoing legal review was time consuming and expensive. Today, representing software firms in connection with customer contracts requires a different approach, with more frequent review and closer control over revisions to the documents being exercised by our lawyers.
Our clients now receive ongoing and scheduled maintenance and support including the following services:
- Hosting of Web-based terms
- Critical Updates Service (e.g., Kaseya Incident)
- Quarterly Template Review & Update
- E-mail review of initial customer changes
- Access to Scott & Scott’s Privacy & Security Library including written information security policy, breach incident response plan, acceptable use policy, verbal confirmation of electronic transmissions policy, and expanded data processing terms.